Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Let's Get Hopping - Gratitude


Welcome to July's edition of Let's Get Hopping! You probably just hopped over from the sweet and crafty Teresa Brown. The word cute comes to mind whenever I see her projects! I absolutely LOVE this month's theme... gratitude. There is so much for which to give thanks - every day - and I'm certainly grateful to be a part of this group of talented crafters!

If you're in the US, it's July 4th... and I'm sure you're with me in celebrating Independence Day - the day we consider our Nation's birthday! I'm focusing on today because I am grateful for those who have been brave enough to fight for our independence. One of my favorite sayings is, "Because of the brave, we are free," so my gratitude extends to those who are serving or have served in the United States Armed Forces, protecting our inalienable rights to Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness.


I've had (the now retired) For Your Country stamp set for a number of years and - surprise! - I've never used it. That doesn't happen to you, does it? I didn't think so. Well, I decided it's time to get it out and create something... and what better occasion is celebrating America's 242nd birthday?

This card is really easy to create, but it's not so quick. To create the border, you need to fashion a mask using post-it notes or low-tack painter's tape (be careful though... painter's tape can sometimes rip your cardstock - ask me how I know. LOL!). Once your mask is in place, use Stampin' Sponges to add color to your card. I used Pacific Point and Real Red for the background and Stazon for the silhouette. Thank you was embossed on the star die-cut using Versamark and white embossing powder.

Another thing I'm grateful for - as simple as it sounds - is being able to wake up and get out of bed every day. No joke. When you lose your dad at 15 and your mom at 27 - and a few friends shortly thereafter - you learn to look at each moment as a gift and say thanks for another day of life. Everything else good that happens after I get out of bed is simply a cherry on the top of the sundae. Sappy, I know... but that's just me.

I fell in love with the sentiment in the Enjoy Life stamp set... it sums up just how grateful I am to be alive.


I used the same technique for this card as I did for the For Your Country card... sponging. This time, I decided to mat the Whisper White elements on Lemon Lime Twist and Coastal Cabana cardstock. It looks like there are two layers of white cardstock, doesn't it?


I have to admit... I had just re-inked my Stazon and it was a little juicy, which makes the sentiment a tad difficult to read. So you can appreciate just how special it is, I've included it here...

"When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive: to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love."

Amazing message, isn't it?

Okay, enough mush! LOL! Thanks for joining me today and letting me share. Now hop off to my dear friend Jennifer Olea! You're going to love what she's created (and maybe even be inspired).








Lemon Lime Twist Classic Stampin' Pad
Lemon Lime Twist Classic Stampin' Pad
[144086]
$6.50

10 comments:

  1. I really like your cards, Diana. I have to admit I always skimmed through this set and never properly read it. Guess what I will be thinking of when I wake up tomorrow morning? what a simple message. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww! That makes my heart happy... I'm so glad it spoke to you! And yes, so simple, but so true. :)

      Delete
  2. Diana these are gorgeous cards, I especially love the Thank You Patriotic card, how you haven't quite blended the red and blue together leaving the white in the middle is amazing. This has inspired me, and I will be heading to my craft desk soon to give this a go for myself! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tracy! I have to admit, I almost blended the red and blue to create the "purple mountain majesties" from America the Beautiful, but I decided to leave it white to be more patriotic. I'm happy it inspired you and I hope to see what you create! :)

      Delete
  3. I love them both, and am thinking about doing the red, white and blue for a home decor project :)) Your awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh! I can't wait to see your home decor project when it's finished! Maybe you'll inspire me to make one. ;)

      Delete
  4. You have completely nailed the brief Diana, both of these cards a gorgeous and have amazing sentiments behind them. Thank you for drawing my attention to the beautiful sentiment from Enjoy Life, I'd not noticed it in the catalogue before now and after reading it here today that set have become a must have on my list

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy my cards inspired you! Thank you for the kind words!! :)

      Delete
  5. Such sweet cards Diana! July 4 is one of my favorite holidays, and my favorite colors are red, white and blue! We have been camping this week, and I decorated everything with the Stars and Stripes! And that is one of my favorite sayings as well, because freedom isn’t free. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nina! I love July 4th, too... and have often said I want to live to see America's Tricentennial. I'll only be 105, so it could happen. LOL!

      Delete